Sunday, 29 July 2007

Natsu bate

This is a word that you soon learn if you are living in Japan during the summer. 'Natsu' means 'summer' and 'Bate' comes from the verb 'bateru' which means 'to tire or wilt'...(I think!). Either way, if you have ever had it, no translation is necessary! Basically it means that you lose your appetite, you drink but cannot quench your thirst, you are lethargic all the time and have no energy. It is hard at first to know you have it because you feel fairly 'normal' but wonder why you have no energy to do anything! Then someone will tell you, 'You have Natsubate'. Putting a name on it makes it easier to bear somehow...and works for a good excuse to get out of unpleasant appointments. You tell anyone here, 'I have Natsubate' and they will say, 'Oh, that's terrible, you should lie down and avoid cold drinks...'. I have never had to 'fake' Natsubate as I usually get it anyway! Actually, I have it right now. It took me a few days to work it out as it hasn't 'felt' that hot. You know it's hot here when you sit still but still feel the sweat running down your back. But it hasn't been that hot yet so I thought I would be OK. But after 3 days of no appetite, lethargy and thirst, I have decided I have Natsu bate. The easiest way to get it is by going through sudden climate changes, like travelling by train in the air conditioning then walking outside, only to go into an air conditioned building moments later. The sweat glands close off when in the air conditioning and take a while to respond to the change in temperature. That means when you go outside in the heat your body doesn't adjust to the temperature quickly enough to let you sweat.....and most of you know not sweating is a bad thing. Well, I haven't done that, actually we have only used the air conditioner once this summer so far, but I got it anyway! The joys of summer in Japan.....

2 comments:

Erinn said...

My new Japanese word for the day, I actually never heard of it, or maybe, I heard of it but wasn't really listening. But I've had it--Natsu bate, it's been awful for the poor kids--grumpy mom! And our aircon isn't working properly! At least we have the river.

Renee said...

Haha, you are so funny! (For those of you who don't know, Erinn has been here for 15 years (??)!)
What would we do without the river??!