Saturday, 19 April 2008

Playing the Licence Game!

I call this 'playing the licence game' because getting your licence in Japan as a foreigner has very little to do with actual driving skill, and is more about remembering their rules to perfection, and 'acting' them out.
This is my friend Erinn, and she is an experienced driver, and the holder of a U.S.A licence, but she needed to get her Japanese licence to drive here as a resident. We had been warned by other licence 'hopefuls' that it was a long and tedious process..but going through it yourself gives it a different light! She is one of the lucky ones, she got her licence in 2 tries! Oops...did I give away the ending??
Bear with me as I explain the technicalities and frustrations in gaining freedom on the roads.

Round No.1:
It started two years ago when Erinn found out she was pregnant with her fourth child. After a few months of gathering necessary documents and getting translations of her licence, we set out
on the one and a half hour journey, over hills, over plains (literally!) to the Prefectural Licence Centre. Erinn had high hopes of returning home with her brand new licence that day...although I was a little more skeptical knowing the Japanese system and their need to make everything drag out for no apparent reason.....and unfortunately, I was right.
She was not even allowed to apply for the licence because she didn't have enough days in the States driving (a minimum of 3 months is required). So she was sent home with no progress at all.
In the car on the way home Erinn, being pregnant and emotional at the time, burst into tears and blurted out some things that I cannot repeat here. Then she said something about the officer saying, 'I'll pretend I didn't hear that...'. She relayed the story to me, and I put my hand over my mouth and said, 'Erinn, you said that to the POLICE???!'....Erinn then looked at me in horror and said, 'They were the POLICE???? I thought they were just government workers!'.....ooopss...
So, after that set back, Erinn went back to the States that summer to make up the rest of the days out of Japan.

Round No.2:
One year after the baby was born, it was time to try again.
Once again we set off on the long journey....This time they took the papers and said they would call us when they had officially checked them out. A three hour journey just to hand in papers! Yep, we were frustrated.

Round No.3:
The call finally came! So we set off again to sit the test!
This time things seemed to run a little smoother. We were lucky enough to get a kind officer who explained things really well and let me sit in on most of the proceedings.
First she had to sit a written test. There were 10 questions, with one practice question at the top. We did the practice question, then I was asked to leave the room for the test. I waited outside hoping Erinn would get them all right. When she had finished she said, 'Ok, I am ready for the real test now.'......The Police officer said, 'Um...that WAS the real test!'.....!! I felt a lump in my throat and thought, 'Oh no!'...but the officer soon relieved our fears when he said she got 100 percent! Phew....
Next was the driving test!

The Officer was very kind and said that he would drive us around the course once before the test. This would give us a huge advantage on knowing what it is they are really looking for, and also help us to remember the course better. Other friends who have (and some still ARE) been through the licence nightmare were very jealous when they heard...they were told they had to walk the course without any juicy tips from the Officers.

We battered him with questions as he went around, and he explained everything in great detail for us. (I say 'us' because he let me ride in the car too! Yippee! He said it was because he wanted someone to translate...but that was another thing we had never heard of!)

So, after the joy ride...it was time to put Erinn to the test.

He turned around to me and said, 'This time we should go around quietly'...how tactful of him. I bit my lip as Erinn took off...with the occasional grunt or attempt at sign language to warn her of pending mistakes. Straight after the test, we sat in the car and he proceeded to tell us how she lost points for being too 'smooth' (translation: too good a driver). He basically said, 'You drive like someone who has been driving for a long time and have many bad habits.' She would turn and change lanes in the same swift action, instead of turning then making the change two separate actions. Basically....she failed.

Round No.4:
One week later.
This time was different. No more nice Officer taking the time to tell us everything. Erinn was placed with the rest of the rat race....and told to wait in line.

While we were waiting we met with a woman from Thailand who was there taking the test for the 7th time. This made us nervous. Erinn waited her turn, and the Thai lady went first. We watched from the waiting room, and she looked fine. But...she failed again and went straight home. Next was Erinn.

The days before, she had spent most of her driving time criss-crossing over lanes and turning up narrow streets in preparation for the test. Look, indicate, 3 seconds, look back, look ahead, pull over....Look, indicate, 3 seconds, look back, look ahead, pull over....Look, indicate, 3 seconds, look back, look ahead, pull over....look...Yep...she was driving like an old lady. I was so glad I was not behind her!

Off she went, at snail speed, doing everything as she had been told. She even remembered the course, which was a miracle considering she still gets lost going to her own Dad's place!
I sat waiting inside praying she would get it right!!

When she pulled up at the end, the officer just told her to get out of the car, so she got out of the car and looked left and right, then got back in again, thinking it was still a test. The officer looked at her strangely and said, 'OK...Go wait inside'...I could see Erinn's head nodding in realisation, 'Oh!'...and she came back inside. She still didn't know if she had passed!! So we waited...and waited...until finally the Officer came inside, after testing a few more people an hour later, and said, 'Congratulations, go to the window and hand in these forms..'....time for a squeal..woohoo..yippee!! Then the Officer stopped and looked at her feet. 'Are those the shoes you were wearing?' He asked. 'Sure', said Erinn. 'Oh, If I had known THAT I wouldn't have passed you!'. Then he walked off. Erinn and I sat there stunned holding our breath. She was wearing backless clogs!! Oh well, all is well that ends well!!!
After another one hour wait, she was finally the proud owner of a Japanese Licence!!
Congratulations Erinn! Well done for not giving up!
If you are trying to get your licence in Japan, here is a site that might help you:
http://www.supermelf.com/japan/ajetdrivingbook/index.htm
Good Luck!

No comments: